As Vice-President, I would like to welcome you to our Chapter. I think that you will agree that there are many benefits of becoming a member of the Upstate New York Chapter. Please note the following about our Chapter’s history, our members and activities:
- Our chapter was founded in 1977 (it is the seventh oldest of the 266 chapters that have been chartered).
- We have 500+ members.
- Our monthly meetings are held September through May. The meetings are generally held at the Desmond Hotel, in Albany (Colonie), NY.
- We have a speaker at each meeting.
- We have an annual Professional Development Day.
- We have a Website that provides the latest information regarding our chapter.
There are many benefits of Chapter membership. Among these are:
- At our monthly meetings, attendees have the opportunity to network with their peers in the industry.
- During these meetings, ideas are exchanged, and we are informed of the latest project management tools and techniques.
- Attendees are also informed of the latest chapter offerings, such as the PMP Prep Course, the joint meeting with the New York State Forum, the annual Professional Development Day and they are kept informed of the Board of Directors meetings.
- Project Management Professionals (PMPs) have the opportunity to earn PDUs. As a result of attending a meeting, a certificate indicating the PDUs that have been earned is issued at the meeting. This enables the member to input to Project Management Institute (PMI) for the PDUs earned as well as a record to keep track of the PDUs and the dates.
- Attendees have the opportunity to meet the officers of the chapter as well as ask questions, share ideas, or offer suggestions
- Members have the opportunity to become more involved with the chapter as they learn about volunteer opportunities.
To become a member of the chapter, you must first join the Project Management Institute (PMI). There are membership packets at our monthly meetings or you can apply for membership on-line. To access the on-line applications, please visit the PMI website at www.pmi.org. Once you join PMI, you can then also join the local chapter. I encourage you to visit our website for up-to-date information regarding the chapter.
I look forward to seeing you at the PMI meetings and please feel free to contact me with any questions.