Job Title / Job Position:
Job Poster's Contact Email:
Job Poster's Contact Phone Number:
As a mutual company, we are independent by nature, so we think about insurance solutions a little differently. Through listening, problem solving, examining your challenges and collaborating on the right solutions for you, Preferred Mutual independent agents provide flexible solutions and adapt to your evolving needs. We do the same for our employees. We are process and domain experts, focused on the solutions that deliver results for our clients and our company. We offer a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. With Preferred, there are no surprises. You can count on us to deliver on our promises and be there when you need us, as your insurance provider and your employer. Preferred Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
YOUR PURPOSE AND FUNCTION IN OUR COMPANY:
The Program Manager is a significant part of a team that drives organizational results utilizing a strategic framework that achieves predictable outcomes and strives for continuous improvement. The Program Manager manages complex, high-risk, strategic projects and programs to achieve and maximize desired strategic results by engaging stakeholders and all levels of leadership. The Program Manager will strengthen the department’s capabilities by contributing to and driving the integration of process enhancements to the project development lifecycle and by mentoring EPMO staff.
The Program Manager will:
• Directly manage multiple medium to large-scale projects and programs to successful completion.
• Direct and provide effective oversight to project managers and stakeholders whose projects provide specific deliverables, all of which must be collectively managed to provide the desired results and to positively influence portfolio results/benefits.
• Translate generalized business goals and objectives into program and portfolio strategy and execution plans.
• Work on complex problems where analysis of a situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors to achieve optimal results.
• Work effectively with internal and external customers, third party vendors, sponsors, and all levels of management in accomplishing project/program objectives and facilitating decisions necessary for project, program and/or portfolio delivery.
• Identify and manage strategic opportunities and threats to high-value and high-risk projects and programs posed by the internal and external environment including appropriate escalation and offering alternative solutions or mitigation plans.
• Facilitate and drive the resolution of issues affecting the projects and/or programs.
• Consult with key stakeholders to achieve a stronger business case through close collaboration regarding the business need, feasibility, risks, and other major facets of the business case.
• Ensure projects and programs meet stakeholders’ expectations by incorporating organizational quality policies, through planning, managing, and controlling project and product quality.
• Identify, acquire, and manage the resources needed for the successful completion of projects and programs.
• Coordinate purchasing or acquiring products, services, or results needed from outside internal project teams; ensuring successful vendor relations and procurement by influencing appropriate levels of engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ensure continuous alignment with organizational strategy and prioritize delivery of high value features and solutions consistent with a fluid and agile organization.
• Oversee project and program documentation and updates to relevant knowledge bases; analyze lessons learned and share with others.
• Mentor project managers and less experienced team members and act as an agent of positive change and thought leader in the EPMO to drive continuous improvement of the project delivery process.
• Facilitate User Acceptance Testing (UAT) sessions, product demos, and product training when appropriate.
• Exercise judgment and ensure adherence within broadly defined policies and practices to apply EPMO methods, processes and techniques and coach others in project management practices.
• Complete a broad range of documentation and administrative tasks including scheduling and maintaining calendars, facilitating meetings, scribing and distributing meetings notes and action items, and other tasks as required.
KEY CAPABILITIES FOR SUCCESS:
Communication & Teamwork
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail
• Expert at developing and delivering informative, well-organized presentations and meetings
• Strong writer and communicator including ability to communicate confidential, difficult, and/or sensitive information tactfully
• Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to effectively work with people from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
• Comfortable escalating project/program issues to all levels of management when necessary and to advocate for responsible solutions to project/program issues
• Interacts professionally and collaboratively with cross-functional and diverse teams including virtual
Innovation & Problem-Solving
• Highly advanced analytical skills demonstrating initiative and a problem-solving attitude utilizing data in a complex, high-risk environment
• Strong use of situational judgement to determine best course of action for a given issue
• Advanced business acumen with the ability to understand strategic and operational issues of the enterprise and customers, with thorough knowledge of the insurance industry
• A technical background sufficient to understand the technologies and technical issues to be able to anticipate and identify technical obstacles, and to influence technology decisions
• Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change
• Ability to learn, apply, and guide others in Lean Six Sigma methodologies and tools
• Ability to manage and communicate a clear vision of the project/program objectives and to motivate teams to achieve them
• Ability to build teams and generate a spirit of cooperation while coordinating diverse activities
• Highly advanced conflict resolution skills with the ability to negotiate consensus amongst diverse groups and impact the activities of others with conflicting interests
• Demonstrated expertise in teambuilding and leading teams
• Ability to train, coach, and develop project managers and non-specialists in project management methodologies and their application
• Exceptional ability to guide and advise others
Project & Program Management
• Highly advanced competency in project/program management processes and tools with ability to learn, develop, and apply new project/program management technologies and tools
• Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining project/program deliverables
• Knowledge of and ability to apply project financial and accounting practices
• Exceptional time management, organizational and prioritization skills
• Experience with rollout of project management and process improvement in an organization, including implementation of standards and/or methodologies
• Bachelor's degree required, or Associates degree with equivalent experience
• 5+ years’ experience using formal project management methodology, techniques, and tools effectively managing multiple high-risk projects, including projects involving eternal vendors and multiple business areas
• 5+ years’ experience in insurance industry required
• 5+ years’ experience mentoring or coaching within a formal project office environment
• Active Project Management Professional PMP® certification
• Insurance industry related designation will be required within 18 months of employment
• Proficient in technology platforms utilized by Preferred Mutual including but not limited to project management software tools, Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and internet-based applications, etc.
This role (job) description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between Preferred Mutual Insurance Company and its employees.